Temporary Housing Situation or Homeless (McKinney-Vento)

Who is eligible for services?

McKinney-Vento Definition of Homeless *42 U.S.C § 11434a(2)

The term “homeless children and youth”

  1. Means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence…,; and
  2. Includes-
    1. Children and youth who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; or are abandoned in hospitals;
    2. Children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designated for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodation for human beings…,;
    3. Children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and
    4. Migratory children who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described in clauses (a) through (c).
McKinney-Vento Rights

Homeless youth can enroll in school even if they have uncertain housing, a temporary address or no permanent physical address. They are guaranteed enrollment in school by the federal McKinney-Vento Act and California state law if they live: 

  • In a shelter (family, domestic violence or youth shelter) or a transitional living program
  • In a motel, hotel or weekly rate housing
  • In a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
  • In temporary foster care or with an adult who is not a parent or guardian
  • In substandard housing without electricity, water or heat
  • With friends or family because they are a runaway or unaccompanied youth
To enroll or attend school, if you live under any of these conditions, you do not need to provide:

  • Proof of residency
  • Immunization records or TB skin test results
  • School records
  • Legal guardianship papers
You may:

  • Participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible
  • Continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled even if you have moved away from that school's attendance boundary or district.
  • Receive transportation from your current residence back to your school of origin
  • Qualify automatically for free and reduced-price breakfast and lunches

For questions or support:

Contact Mrs.Crowe, Director of Student Services, at 760-898-2715 or [email protected]


In the news: